Apple Chicken treats!

Sseckel

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Southeast, IA
So every once in awhile I like to imagine myself as a homesteader. If I actually was I think my family would starve, but hey its fun to pretend right!?! So today we made apple cider and it struck me that there was alot of waste left over. Which then led to me wondering how I can use it to save myself some money. Viola chicken treats! I rounded up my help, once the plan was revealed my husband and son vanished, so my daughter and I set to work.
Having no real plan I gathered my supplies. 7 gallons of apple mash, water and steel cut oats. I didn't give overall nutrition much thought as these are meant to be occassional treats but I am sure someone more nutritionally minded than I could change the recipe to be amazing! If by which you do please post so I can use it next year
tongue.png
If I had had more food that we werent going to consume I would have included it but my cabinets are pretty bare at the moment, so apple mash and oats it is!
The plan was pretty simple, stuff every cupcake can in sight with the mash and oats then use the remaining mash and blend with water into a sort of apple sauce, then pour over the cupcake trays to act as a binder when freezing the treats. I am hoping this stores well in the freezer, I have never frozen raw apples before, so maybe diaster is around the corner, but it was a fun way to spend an hour this afternoon.
I haven't given too much thought into how I plan to serve said treats. As winter is coming I doubt sending out frozen treats will go over real well. Probably will have the let them thaw before giving to the hens but they might be good will some warm oatmeal on those really cold days.
, My daughter with our hodge podge of supplies

I am going to call this apple slurry
hu.gif

The cake pan prior to freezing. layers of apple mash, oats and slurry.

Any favorite treats you make for your girls?

Oh and though probably needless to say 7 gallons is a lot of mash to use up. We only used up 4 gallons. The rest either went into the chicken run or the compost bin
celebrate.gif
the chickens loved the mash though so at least for now it is a success!

That's great...I made cider out of about 20 bushels of apples so far this fall. Wish there was a good way to save the waste, because it does make a great chicken treat.

Unless I get a freezer that will accommodate 50-gallon barrels, though, I think I'm limited to whatever they can eat fresh and maybe a a few bagfuls in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom