Help!! No egg in 3 days now...

DarleneE

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2014
Riverview, Fla
Can someone maybe give me an idea what could be wrong. My 9 month old Barred Rock hen has not laid an egg for three days now. She's acting normal, active, playing, eating and drinking. I looked at and felt her vent and didn't see anything abnormal.. no bulging, swelling, nothing protruding??!! What can be wrong?? I just can find anything out of the ordinary wrong with her other than the not laying!!?? Please, any help you can provide me with will be very much appreciated as I'm worried sick over this. I only have her and an Easter Egger and they mean the world to me. These are my very first chickens so I'm really new to all this. Thank you!!

Any chance she is going broody? I am not sure how young they can start that but that could explain it if all else is normal. And she is probably too young to molt I would think (though I am no expert either). Is her poop normal? Broody poop is huge in comparison to normal poop so watch for that. Also if she just started laying maybe she isnt quite regular yet. I had one that was on and off ocassionally. Have they had constant water supply? Going without for even a little while can delay eggs as well.

Hmmm well wonder if that could be it?? But she's not sitting in the nest though yesterday she was in there in and out alot and I thought each time she was going to lay an egg then nothing?? Now when you say big poop.. Do you mean big and formed poop?? She's been having alot of watery poop but it's also been very hot.. we're in Florida. So alot of her poops are liquid in between the formed ones. No, she a very faithful and regular layer which is what really worries me now!! She started laying at 20 weeks and she lays every 25+ hours normally. I just have no idea what could be wrong. I'm going to call our vet first thing in the morning!! Thank you so much for trying to help me figure this out. Prayers please??!!

Chickens normally take a break from laying. If she looks sick and not laying I would worry. But if she acts normal she probably is. Mine are all in a heavy molt and not laying.

I have 4 Barred Rock hens that are doing the same thing. They usually lay almost everyday, but nothing now all of a sudden for 4 days. They seem to be fine otherwise. Best of luck with yours!

My 7 month old birds have definitely slowed down and I have one that hasn't laid for several days. I think it is related to the shortening daylight. I would say as long as she is acting okay, probably normal.

Thank you thank you thank you for the responses!!!! They've truly helped ease my mind some!! I had been wondering if this shorter daylight time may have had something to do with it also!!?? Again thank you and also best of luck with all your hens as well!!

There's a picture of my sweetheart that I took earlier today!!!!

And this is her "sister" Olivia, aka Livie!! They are truly my loves!!
Thanks to you all!! Bless you all!!

Back
Top Bottom