Hello!

rlcrow

Songster
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Bush, Louisiana
Hello my name is Rachel. I'm new here and new to raising chickens. I have 22 hens and 2 roosters and 6 silkie chicks and 6 ducks. So far I love them! I did get some chickens before and when I purchased them they were all sick and unfortunately they died. :-(
I'm really hopeful my new chickens will do better add they are so sweet. I'm also anti traditional medicine if it can be helped and prefer to try natural cures when possible. I wish I had found this forum when my last chicken had gotten sick. The local ag group said there was really nothing I could do. But I'm so excited to glean wisdom from others! Thanks in advance!
Rachel

frow.gif
Welcome to BYC!!!!

Welcome to BYC, Rachel. Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! So sorry to hear about the loss. Fingers crossed everything will go great with the new start!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about your first set of birds!
hugs.gif
Alternative natural meds always work better as a prevention rather than a cure. So keep them healthy so they have less of a chance of getting sick. Probiotics!!! 80% of the immune system lies in the intestinal tract. That is also where most pathogens take hold in the chicken. But these bad pathogens and bacteria don't stand a good chance in an environment of good oxygen and healthy bacteria. So use probiotics.

ACV....apple cider vinegar. Don't over do this one, but one full week each month will help to keep the PH of their bodies high and help to ward off virus's and bacterias. 1 to 2 tablespoons of ACV per gallon of water. Use a plastic container only and change and make a new batch daily.

I don't often push the supplements, but add some Calf Manna Performance Pellets at about 5% to 10% of the feed. The chickens love this stuff and it is loaded with all kinds of good stuff not in chicken feed. It will make them healthy, full of vigor and lay really nice eggs too.

Good luck and I hope this group of birds stays healthy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom