Please help handsome !!!

handsomes2chics

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Hi I have one rooster(handsome) he is about 5 or so months I raised him from a baby with 2 hens and another rooster all the same age. All free range. About 6 weeks ago the 2 hens and the other rooster got killed by a fox:( so that left handsome all by himself. He seemed ok just stayed close to me and to the house. Btw try were/ are silkies. Today I noticed that he isn’t really moving much he will walk the sit in one place for a long time ie: my husband was working out in the yard today handsome wattled over to him then just sat there and even after my husband walked away handsome didn’t move then tonight after dark I went to check on him and make sure he was ok and he was in the pen not the coop part where he usually sleeps ( he never went inside) which is not like him at all! I picked him up and he was making sortof a hiccup kinda noise but not really. Also I live in newengland and the temp has dropped a lot here in the last few weeks. Is he dying of lonilness or us he just cold? Please some one help me

Hi, welcome.

It is unlikely that he is cold. A full grown silkie will keep himself happily warm down to 0F if he is dry.

Have you got a pic of him.

Are his eyes bright and clear? , any sneezing ? . eating well ?. Free and correct movement?.

Your diagnosis is probably correct and he needs some of his own species for comfort.

I always recommend chickens are kept in a group of at least three as they are quite gregarious.

Can you borrow a hen or two from someone?

Neil

Hi Neil thank you! just after the accident with the fox I went and go to baby chicks. They are 6 weeks old now but I don't know how to acclimate them so I haven't tried yet. And the other think is yes his eyes look good and he is eating and drinking. But he can sit in the same spot for hours :/ I checked his feet and his wings both seem fine . ????

Last edited:
If he's falling over, then I suspect that is not caused by loneliness. Do you have any Rooster Booster or other vitamin stuff to put in his water? It sounds serious to me. Experts will chime in, but I'd do a full examination. Check his crop, breath, vent, et al. I have heard that they shake their head to the side sometimes when their crop is impacted.

Last edited:
So sorry about your rooster
sad.png

Toddrick thanks for the advice I went out and checked his crop seems normal and he is crowing fine too. I nudged him along and his walking/ running seems fine. My mom has a flock of hens I am thinking of brings him over to seem if the helps him perk up. Any advice on how to acclimate my 6 week old chicks with handsome? I'm worried because I don't have any big mamas.

I would keep him isolated. If he is contagious then it would be a disaster to introduce him to another flock of chicks. Again, expert advice would be helpful, but if a chicken is laying down, I think something serious is wrong.

Oh, and I just noticed you posted this in a regular thread. Please post in the Emergency thread, where you will surely get the best advice.

Could Handsome have gotten injured in the fox attack? Internally maybe? Broken rib? Maybe you can put the chicks in the coop with him but keep them separated by chicken wire so he doesn't feel alone?

He is very sweet and I putt the baby's out with him he seems very calm with them. So we will see. And it's possible but I examined his body and I didn't feel anything abnormal I hold him a lot! :)

Back
Top Bottom