Automatic Turner (a.k.a. Carnival Ride) Questions...

rachelpotter

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
I have a Brinsea Octagon 20 that will have its first batch of eggs put in it this weekend! (whoohooo!) I got the automatic turner as suggested by so many on here. However... I'm a bit concerned about a few things. I am using shipped eggs and so planned on using egg crates with the bottoms cut out. I will be hatching a full bator full of Marans, Jersey Giants, Isbars and Serama eggs.

Questions:

1. DO the eggs STAY in the cartons when the turner is used? I plan on not turning for the first few days after letting the eggs settle. But that thing REALLY tilts! I'm especially concerned about the smaller serama eggs falling out.

2. I have a full bator full of eggs coming. If the breeder sends a few extra can I layer them? I have seen this done several times. And then as eggs don't make it they are removed and room is made for them for hatching. How does the turner affect THAT? Seems to me they'd be rolling. Would I be better just to leave the extras out?

And finally... ANY tips you all could give to help prepare me for my first hatch. I know I am asking alot with SHIPPED eggs for my first hatch and Serama eggs to boot.. but I don't have local eggs near me so I decided to try some fun breeds this time.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Rachel

What you want when the eggs are turned is for them to go through 90 degrees. They need to go from 45 degrees to the left to 45 degrees from the right. Yeah, that’s pretty steep but how you manage that is up to you. If you can manage that in cartons great. If you can manage that stacking them, great. You might practice a bit with sacrificial eggs before you risk the more valuable eggs.

Instead of doing that, some turners and some people that turn by hand just lay the eggs flat and turn them completely over when they are turned. But that’s not the type of turner you have.

I’ve had 100% hatch rate with shipped eggs. I’ve had an absolutely horrible hatch rate with shipped eggs. Shipped eggs are certainly more of a risk but you can still be successful. It’s a roll of the dice. Good luck!

Wonder if anyone has experience with the turner and egg cartons? I guess I'm going to go get some eggs and try it out...

Back
Top Bottom