Sand in the coop? what about the run?

Amersa

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
We are setting up a chicken coop for the first time and I am researching things and never thought about sand in the coop, when I was growing up my dad always put sawdust in the chicken barn and outside was just bare dirt. I want to have a green run (grass/ other plants), is that even a possibility with chickens, do they always peck everything bare?? Or should I have two runs where I can alternate grassy patches so that one can grow in while the other one they peck clean? We hope to have 10-20 chickens.
So if I have sawdust in the coop I will have to change it weekly, but sand only twice a year ? that appeals to me! Does anyone have first hand experience what's better sand or sawdust? We live in a pretty wet climate (south, western BC).

Unless you have your birds in a portable tractor setup, yes, your run will be bare to the bone...it's just what chickens do! As for sand, I don't personally use it because unless you get the right type of sand it compacts down trapping moisture and there ya go...you'll have a stinky moldy mess before long.

Face it, chickens require upkeep when it comes to picking up poo...I rake my run every other day. I use pine wood shavings (not sawdust...compacts down) in my coop and love it...

I wish you all the very best!!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom