Chickens in North Carolina

davidsgirl

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Been reading up about preparing for winter weather, but what constitutes winter weather? Coming from NY to NC the winter's are pretty mild here. May get into the upper 20's/lo 30"s at night and an occasional snow that's gone in a day or two. Do I need to insulate my coop with plastic or just put a barrier of straw bales to block the wind. Do they need extra heat at night?

I live in TN so winter is pretty mild here, too. I have 6 windows. I cover some of the extra windows but leave 3 open for ventilation. I do not use heat in the winter. Lack of ventilation that lets moisture build up will hurt them before the cold will. I prop a piece of plywood up against the outside of the northern end of the run for a wind block for when they are outside. I do like to give my girls treats like warm oatmeal, cooked beans, or even scrambled eggs on cold days.

I live in TN so winter is pretty mild here, too. I have 6 windows. I cover some of the extra windows but leave 3 open for ventilation. I do not use heat in the winter. Lack of ventilation that lets moisture build up will hurt them before the cold will. I prop a piece of plywood up against the outside of the northern end of the run for a wind block for when they are outside. I do like to give my girls treats like warm oatmeal, cooked beans, or even scrambled eggs on cold days.

I usually keep to this routine from around the first of December til the end of February or middle of March. January is probably our coldest month here. We will have a couple of weeks when its 30's in the daytime and in the teens at night.

I am from the mtns of NC. I like to block the northeast wind from the coop. I leave the vents open and usually one window. I don't want a draft but no heat. I use the cookie metal boxes with a light in them to prevent freezing of their water. I also have a covered area for them to stay dry outside the coop. Other than that a warm treat once and a while is always appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom