Failed incubation

aperez54

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
I'm soooo frustrated! Today was supposed to be lockdown on 14 quail eggs I set up at my kids' kindergarten class. I candled them before transferring to the hatching incubator and ALL OF THEM WERE INFERTILE!!

Aaaargh! I almost feel like the person who supplied it to me knew they were infertile :(

So now I have a classroom of 25 bummed kids :( They even took lots and lots of pictures with the eggs in the incubator and learned about the life cycle, drew pictures.

he.gif

The supplier owns a farm, with many quail pens and other livestock. We agreed 2 - 3 weeks before the date I'd pick up the eggs so she can collect them. But she said something happened in the morning and they were either taken by a raccoon or they fell or something like that. She collected 15 eggs that morning (1 was broken) - so I almost feel like they were just regular infertile eggs but needed to give me "something". Thing is, ALL of them were bright green when candled. It's not like a few had early deaths or anything. No veins, nothing.

I really do feel bad for the kids. They have pictures and drawings and writings all over their "hatching chicks" area. So now I still have the eggs in there pretending they'll hatch until I can get my hands on fertile eggs.

Live and learn I guess. I wouldn't mind so much if they were just for me, but a class of disappointed expecting little kids to see hatching chicks is definitely a bummer. I feel horrible for the teacher who has to explain it all!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom