Murry McMurray, Delawares, and meat bird quality

Moondazzle

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Washington, USA
Hello :)
I just joined BYC, and I'm looking forward to hopefully raising a group of Delawares as a meat bird project through 4-H. I will also be promoting the breed at shows and breeding the best of my flock, while the rest will be butchered. I was wondering, are Murray McMurray's Delawares true to the breed? Are they at least of moderate/average quality? I just need a group of average or better birds to start out with. I want to make sure that they won't give me really poorly conformed birds that don't grow well. Also, is another hatchery better than McMurray when it comes to Delawares? Any help is greatly appreciated!
:D

Several of my friends have used McMurray and been very pleased with their chickens. I can't say personally as I have never used them. I use a small hatchery close to home. I have had them recommended to me though.

Bump
1f414.png

I have not ordered Delawares from them, but have ordered other birds. I don't think I will ever order from a hatchery again as I have lost half my flock to egg laying issues. You're best off ordering from a breeder who has good quality birds.
Hatchery birds are just that - hatchery quality. I love my hatchery birds but they're certainly not show quality :)

Thank you guys a whole bunch for your feedback. :3 What egg laying problems, may I ask?

It's hard to remember as it's been about 5 months since the first one died(the next died a month later and the next another month later)
This is what I remember...
The first one, eggs wandered off their intended course and ended up in the body cavity, which resulted in a horrible infection that took weeks to kill her. She did not show any sign of sickness - if she did, I would have done something immediately.
The second one - same or similar issue. Don't remember exactly.
Third one, my favorite hen...screamed and fell down crying when I found her dead. Egg yolk was in the body cavity which caused an infection that killed her. Again, no signs of illness. It's a survival instinct for chickens to not show signs of weakness, as the weak ones are the ones most likely to be killed by predators.

These are the 3 that I've lost. Penny(Penelope Turtle Rose, named by my best friend lol) and Darla the Speckled Sussex and Carolina(my favorite girl ever) the Blue Andalusion

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It's always so sad to lose a chicken, especially that way... I'll definitely take that into consideration when getting my chicks.

Back
Top Bottom