What do you get when you mate two Easter Eggers?

nab58

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
CT
If an EE is half americauna, then two EEs are 50% americauna.

If you hatch an egg from the 2 EE's, will chances be you get a colored egg layer? I think I've read that the answer is no. But I thought I'd ask everyone here what you think.

If an EE is half americauna, then two EEs are 50% americauna.

If you hatch an egg from the 2 EE's, will chances be you get a colored egg layer? I think I've read that the answer is no. But I thought I'd ask everyone here what you think.

It depends on the genetics of the two Easter Eggers. Is your hen laying colored eggs? Have you crossed your rooster to any other hens and, if so, what color eggs have the resulting female chicks laid? It isn't quite as simple as them both being "50% Ameraucana"

It depends on the genetics of the two Easter Eggers.  Is your hen laying colored eggs?  Have you crossed your rooster to any other hens and, if so, what color eggs have the resulting female chicks laid?  It isn't quite as simple as them both being "50% Ameraucana"

Yes, the hens eggs are blue.

I've never hatched an egg. This is my first experience with a rooster. "He" was supposed to be a "she".

Here's my simplified understanding of egg color genetics. Keep in mind, if your birds are from a hatchery, they're not necessarily half Ameraucana.

Blue + Blue = blue
Blue + brown = green
Blue + white = light blue

Green + green = usually some shade of green, but it's possible to get some brown or cream, depending on the genetics involved.

Green + brown = a mix of green and brown.

So, if your hens lay blue eggs, and your rooster is a hatchery Ee, chances are decent the offspring will lay blue eggs, or at least green.

Does the rooster have a pea comb?
Pea combs on males and females usually indicate an blue egg gene in the mix and will up your chances of getting blue/green eggs from any female offspring.

Genetics are tricky tho and with EE's it's crap shoot as to what's dominant in the genetic backgrounds.

I am waiting patiently for my EE to start laying.. Mother and father both are EE, both had rose combs but this pullet doesn't. Hen lays blue eggs and rooster came from a pinkish egg ( donated from a nice lady for my hen) Out of 4 eggs from this pair only one was a pullet and she is a tad over 5 months old.

I am waiting patiently for my EE to start laying.. Mother and father both are EE, both had rose combs but this pullet doesn't. Hen lays blue eggs and rooster came from a pinkish egg ( donated from a nice lady for my hen) Out of 4 eggs from this pair only one was a pullet and she is a tad over 5 months old.
Blue egg laying hen has a rose comb?? If so, can you post a pic?

I don't know if it shows up well, but its the two hens in the first pic.. The EE rooster (we no longer have) is the 2nd photo and was around 4.5 months here

Last edited:
Best I can do, the two older hens are very skittish so cant get real close.. The one clear is one of their offspring's and was sired by a Dominique rooster. All lay blue eggs

Back
Top Bottom