How much lighting for winter

chicken chickie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Pennsylvania pa
being all new to this I am not so sure how much lighting they need for winter ...days are getting shorter here quickly ...my husband put up these lights all around and in their bedroom/coop ...how much is good enough

I've had my girls for 18 months. I've never used any lights and my egg production did not slow down in winter. I guess its personal preference.

To be honest it's not all really for egg production ...I work a lil later some nights and miss out on spending time with them cause they go to bed earlier ..yes I'm obsessed :lol:

That would be a good idea here, except at about 6:00pm if they are out in the yard, they decide that it is time to go to bed/roost, and off they go.
And, I'm retired so have the day to be around if I want.

What you did looks really good. Do they come out after dark with the lights on?

That would be a good idea here, except at about 6:00pm if they are out in the yard, they decide that it is time to go to bed/roost, and off they go.
And, I'm retired so have the day to be around if I want.

What you did looks really good. Do they come out after dark with the lights on?
yup it's getting dark at about 6 ish too ..I have the lights on a timer and just started this weekend ...they do go in when it gets dark outside but seem to stay up for a bit when lights are on but stay inside of coop ..especially when I am in the run part ... When they are ready even with lights on the go upstairs and start to settle down so I say my good nights and turned off lights manually

Oh and I never ever let them roam unattended ...I close up the coop even if I am still inside with them and if I am not there the coop stays locked up good ....don't want any predators to get inside either

I also have a question along these lines i keep a light in the coop year round and it burns year round do in need to place a timer on for it to go off at night or just what should do. Winter time is coming on in my neck of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom