Laying Without Males

quailraiser16

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Hi Guys!

I'm a newbie here i just joined BYC last night.
smile.png
ya.gif
it is my first time raising a Japanese Cortunix. I wish everyone could give suggestions,comments & answers.
smile.png
Last 2 weeks ago i bought 100 quails, 2 are males the rest are females and the raiser told me that they're already a month old. and then last week my neighbor's dog attacked they're coop and there we're only 4 Females left none of the males survived.
hit.gif
after a few days of that incident i noticed that my females are laying eggs until today, WITHOUT MALES. i was wondering if these eggs will hatch or not.
idunno.gif

AGAIN as i said this is my first time of raising these guys so i don't know if these eggs will hatch. i wanted to buy another batch of quails but i was thinking that if females could reproduce on their own and then build my own homemade incubator, why would i bother to buy another batch what if i made a mistake and just wasted electricity for nothing.
lol.png
i really need a counseling here.
barnie.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC!!! So sorry to hear about you quail :( as for your question, I believe that females can still have fertile eggs up to 3-4 weeks after the males are gone, I could be off by some bit I know its at least a week. But with out males, no, the females can't hatch any eggs after a few weeks. Hope you get some new quail and good luck in your poultry adventures !!!

so even without a male, female can produce eggs but not fertile ones?

They could be fertile for a while after they mated like Desert chickens1 said, so if you have gotten eggs in the past week they may be fertile and could develop if incubated. I would try it! It is hard to say how long they might lay fertile eggs after the attack. So sorry you lost all those birds!!

yeah i feel bad remembering that accident.
hit.gif
anyway i'll just try to move on and buy another batch. but this time i'll do better. thanks for your advices!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom