Wild Birds

Southshore

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Hi everyone! I was hoping someone could tell me if it is possible to tame adult wild peafowl? If yes then how does one go about it it? Thanks!

How wild is wild? most peas act wild when they feel you are entering their space, they are prey animals it is built into their DNA for survival.

You can encourage it to come closer with treats but it can take you months even a year or more before it trust you enough to take food from your hand and that will most likely be as tame as it will be, Peafowl do not like to be handled, there are exceptions but those birds are handled all the time so they are fine with it but for the most part they like a head scratch and are happy just to be near you as long as you do not touch, now they can touch you all they want cause in their peabrain that is ok if they trust you.

IMO if you want a tame birds start with a hatchlings and handle it every day so it is imprinted on you.
wink.png

Thanks! And tge pictures are amazing!

Well over here in Pakistan birds are caught from the wild ( Indian blues from the Thar desert region). I have a chick that is constantly glued to me and sits on my shoulder all day long from the moment it steps out of its cafe. It just hates being away. It probably thinks I am it's Mommy!!

I will be given some birds that were caught from the wild so was wondering how they would behave and how tame can they get.

Last edited:
Now that this additional info IMO it is not likely they will ever be very tame unless they are real young, kinda sad they loose their freedom like this, kinda like going to jail for something they didn't do
sad.png

Can't release them here in the city. The best one can do is adopt them and take care of them :) I don't keep my birds caged.

Can't release them here in the city. The best one can do is adopt them and take care of them
smile.png
I don't keep my birds caged.
Why do they capture them in the first place what harm can they do in the desert region?

So you do not live in the city? how will you keep them from leaving if they are not in a pen ?

They are caught to be sold. I meant that I live in the city which is 600 kms from where they are caught. They cannot be set absolutely free since the city is not their natural habitat. We clip the flight feathers and keep them in our garden. It's better than keeping them in a pen to keep them from flying away. I feel they are freer that way but that's my opinion. I don't mean any disrespect :)

I see, how high is your garden fence?
My peafowl can hop 6 feet in the air when startled, had a hen defeathered by puppieswhen she jumped in the traing kennel she was also going threw a molt and lost all but 3 flight feathers before i found her in there and she could still get up in the tree to roost by jumping from limb to limb, i was amazed.

We would love to see photos of your Pretty's
clap.gif
i always wondered if there was a difference in the way a wild caught blue verses a domesticate blue

It will be my pleasure to share pictures of the wild birds once I get them :)

My walls are a minimum of ten feet. You are right, they are rather nimble birds, owing to the long legs and slender frame.

Back
Top Bottom