Neighbour's cat killed my baby

cuckoo0092

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Neighbour's cat broke in to our kitchen and took one of my two bantam chicks about 7 weeks old right from the brooder box! all dors were shut and one window slightly open. we need our windows open and we should feel safe doing so. what position am i in? what are my rights according to law? by the way im in uk. Also want you to think what would have happened if I had a dog and it killed that cat on the owners's property, how would it be different from my situation except that the animal involved is bigger but as valuable.
Thanks for replying

Im not in the UK however I would first tell your neighbor what happened, then I would get a supply of spray bottles with water, and get some old water bottles or container and fill it with rocks orsomething that will make noise. ANYTIME you catch the cat on their property, spray it with water and shake the containers to make a loud noise, eventually the cat will stop coming aroind. If the owners are decent they will hel deter the cat and offer to pay for a new chick.

Sorry to hear about the cat getting your bantam chick :hugs
I'm not sure there are any laws about cats coming on to your property. I know it all seems a it wrong and as you said if you had a dog that killed the cat you would probably be prosecuted for having a dangerous dog. Have you tried cat repellent around your perimeter I got some from the garden centre seems to work but absolutely stinks.

thanks for replying. I can prevent it in future by having windows shut all times? but such an inconvenience and I would love to sue the owner if i knew who it belongs to. Im nice enough im not poisoning it

No, I wouldn't keep your windows shut, the spray bottle and noise will work, every times its on or near your property line, spray him and rattle the container or whatever noise maker, he'll learn not to come over. I don't think it would be worth suing, it would cost more than its worth and they wont do anything to the cat, esp under the pretense that it is a cats instinct to go after birds. The owner would have to replace your bird, but, that's about it. Cats are not held to the same standard as dogs.

Put up a screen ... Glue some tack pointy side up on window sill ... Take some disposable pie plates, and half fill with water, set on the edge, so it will knock them over and give it self a bath (mix vinegar, ammonia, or hot pepper sauce to water, as it will make self grooming un-pleasant!) ... Get a dog!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom