Ugh, I REALLY want to hatch!

howfunkyisurchicken

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Tn
But, I never have good luck this time of year :( We heat with a wood stove and I incubate with an LG and my temperature never stays stable enough for my eggs to make it.
Anyone else dealing with a similar situation? How do you hatch when the weathers cool if you heat with wood? During the summer we run the AC, and it keeps the house temp pretty stable, but we don't use our central heat during the winter, just the wood stove :hit

You should consider making a better incubator from a cooler, that can give you a lot better insulation, and also room to add more hear. The problem with the LG (and other cheap styro incubators) is that the heating element is sized too small (for safety with easily meltable styro, I presume) and the styro is not a good enough insulator.

Search this site for cooler-bators.

Or, if you have the money, watch Craigslist and other local ads for a used cabinet incubator. I bought a Sportsman 1202 last December and is was fantastic at keeping the temperature right at all times of the year (except for the 3 day power outage - but some chicks still hatched from those eggs). I see them from time to time for 300 to 500 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom