Thin worms in chick poop?

ckor

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 21, 2014
I discovered what look like inch-long thin worms where we're keeping our chicks, which are less than a week old. They're brown and immobile and I suspect one or more of them is pooping them but I'm at a loss for what do to. A friend loaned us some Wazine but I've seen mixed feedback on chicken forums — are they too young to tolerate it? Do they even need to be de-wormed? Thanks for any feedback. This is our fourth round with chicks and this has never happened before.

It just looks like a red wiggler worm to me. Are your chicks on dirt? I can't imagine what could lead week old chicks to have an infestation of worms like this.

If they're in a brooder, do you possibly have "helpers" who are trying to feed the baby chicks worms?

We've confirmed that the chicks are pooping what look like worms. They're currently in a tub in our house -- away from our hens outside -- but we layered the base with some hay from outside. Could that be it? Any idea how to treat them? The good news is they're otherwise acting normally.

Chicks that young dont get worms. Do NOT give them a wormer. The poop in the pic is normal. If you happen to see abit of red (blood) in poop, it is shed intestinal lining and is normal on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom