what to do?

tiffy30

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Mokane Missouri
So, I have 17 hens and two rosters. There is three different breeds both of my rosters are of a different beed. My question is that my roosters will sleep in the run at night and one hen will be with them. During the day they are all let out to free range. I also have a hen that roost in a tree next to the coop, I usually just put her in the coop after dark. Is OK to let them roost in the run even though the temperature is starting to drop to the mid to high forty's even though it will start to get colder?

Some of my chickens like to sleep in the run. I just keep an eye on the weather. When it starts getting cold enough to frost I go out after dark and put them in the coop. After that they usually go in at night on their own until the weather gets warm again. Its a pain in the tail but my girls are pretty spoiled. I haven't found any evidence of any mites or lice. There is no squabbling when everyone is in the coop and ventilation is good. Just make sure there is not a reason they don't want to go inside. I use tree limbs in the run for roosts and I guess they just like them and feel safe there at night.

Back
Top Bottom