I want ducks, chickens and maybe some guardian geese how do you feed the menagerie?

258 Pots

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 12, 2014
New Plymouth IDAHO
Do you separate?

I am planning on getting some Indian runner ducks for eggs and prolly a straight run of a dozen chickens to start. Do you feed these animals separately or are they all "fowl" enough to eat the same feeds? (might want some turkeys or maybe a pair a swans also...)

Thanks for helping a total newbie :)

Lee

Hi Lee. If I were you, I'd look at Multi-flock for the whole menagerie, and add oyster shell for extra calcium. I'm not sure if the Multi-flock starter at 28% protein would be too much protein for your chicks, but the Multi-flock grower at 20% would be fine for your whole flock of birds once they are past the 8 week mark. You'll have to do a bit of homework regarding starting chicks vs. starting the water fowl and turkeys.

28% protein is going to cause all sorts of problems with young geese. Too much protein and they start getting wing issues.

If I remember correctly, Dumor recommends starting chicks on Starter, and ducklings/goslings on Starter/Grower. Don't quote me on that though, it's been a while (spring) since I looked.

Back
Top Bottom