Another "where are my eggs" thread

PoPo76

Songster
6 Years
Sep 22, 2014
Long Island, New York
I have 2 hens that I've had for about 1-2 months. One of them has been laying consistently nice blue/green eggs. I thought they were both laying until a few brown eggs showed up. Originally I thought they were laying the same color eggs. However, I only got 4 brown eggs then they suddenly stopped. I get about 1 greenish egg per day. The funny thing is the more "nervous/skiddish" hen is the one laying. The laid back one that lets us pet her is the one that stopped.

I am a little confused as to why she would not be laying. She seems healthy, not stressed. I'm not sure of their exact age .I'm assuming around 20 weeks. I've been told they are ameraucana's.

I feed them a variety of fruits and vegetables in addition to their feed and meal worms. They also have a nice area to walk around so they are not confined all day.

Should I wait and hope for the best or is there a way to help her lay more eggs?

Here they are:

Thanks. Since posting this she had started laying more frequently. I get one a day from one hen and the other maybe 3 per week. Perhaps she just needed to get acclimated more to her new surroundings.

From the date of my last post on this thread 10/30/14 both hens have been laying regularly.

However, literally on the first day of winter my EE stopped laying and a few weeks later my other hen stopped laying. I'm suspecting that they may be molting.

The question is when should I expect to see eggs again? Months?

We are experiencing some really cold weather right now could that also be a factor?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom