questions about a heating lamp

kaileen20

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
My chicks are almost 3 weeks old and I was wondering how old they should be when I don't use the heating lamp anymore? Sorry for the dumb question, I'm new at this!

Also they seem to stay away from being under it now..they stay in their coop in our garage so its a little warmer in there but at night it gets old this time of year.

My chicks are almost 3 weeks old and I was wondering how old they should be when I don't use the heating lamp anymore? Sorry for the dumb question, I'm new at this!

Wait a few more weeks. Are they inside a brooder box, or out in an unheated coop? Just make sure they have a large enough area to get away from the light if they get too hot and in an area where they are out of the wind/weather or can get out of the weather. Chicks are usually fully feathered and able to do without additional heat by 6-8 wks of age depending on the breed.

Last edited:
They are in a coop with their heating lamp in our garage, its pretty well insulated

I turned their lamp off today. Because they seem to avoid It so I thought they where getting too hot

Back
Top Bottom