***Duck Laid an Egg! Unsure!****

rsimental11

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Hi all,

So I awoke to a surprise this morning from my Cayuga, a little egg! A green one. The thing is, I have a drake, so not sure if it's from mating or not. If so, how long until an embryo starts? Is grabbing the egg the day it's laid and putting it in the fridge ensuring it's edible and not a duckling? Help! Thanks.

Ducks lay eggs regardless if there's a male or not. In order for there to be a duckling the egg would have to be incubated

I have a first year mature Rouen and my question would be- what about if the nest is moist to wet from rain? Can bacteria travel through the shells if they get wet? Safe to eat? I only have one duck, but have read this on the chicken pages-- I am new to them too.
Thanks in advance!

I have a first year mature Rouen and my question would be- what about if the nest is moist to wet from rain? Can bacteria travel through the shells if they get wet? Safe to eat?  I only have one duck, but have read this on the chicken pages-- I am new to them too.
Thanks in advance!

That's a good question, but I don't have an answer. Maybe start a new thread if it doesn't get answered on this on

Last edited:
As long as you don't clean them, they last a very very long time. No need to refrigerate. They have a protective coat keeping bacteria out.

As long as you don't clean them, they last a very very long time. No need to refrigerate. They have a protective coat keeping bacteria out.

You could be right, but she's saying the eggs are wet sitting on a nest which possibly is dirty. I would think them being wet would be the same as washing them which takes the protective layer off

Lol I'm sorry you probably were replying to the original poster
1f60a.png

thanks for responding Mrs. H!

You are welcome. You might want to start a new thread at this point tho. Kinda curious myself now bc my eggs this morning were damp I'm assuming bc it was so cold this morning then warmed up quickly (I live in the south crazy temp changes)

Back
Top Bottom