Will pullets hatched in June start laying this year?

SillyMissLily

Songster
9 Years
Jan 19, 2014
Colorado, western slope
I know there is so much banter out there about when a hen will start to lay, but I read or heard something about chicks that hatch after April may not start to lay until the next season. This is because of the whole reduction in daylight hours thing by the time they reach maturity. Is this true? Has anyone heard this before? Mine hatched June 15, so I was hoping to get some eggs going from them in November... Should I add a light to the coop to increase "daylight" for the pullets?

My hens started to lay in November they hatched in june, I have light in my coop but don't leave it on too long as they go up to roost so I turn it off so they can get some shut eye x

I purchased my pullets in early June as 3 day old chicks. They are at the point of lay now with red faces, combs and wattles. A few are squatting. I live in NW Florida, so even though the days are noticeably shorter, we still get a lot of light during the daylight hours and it's warm. It does get down into the 50's and 40's at night now. I am expecting eggs in November too! Hopefully, I will get them. I have two breeds I am not familar with - Brahmas and Cochins, so I don't know if they start early or not, but I have three grown hens and two of my pullets are a RIR and an EE, so I know they'll lay fairly early. I check the nesting boxes every morning just in case!

I believe it depends on the breed and development of the hen. I also got 3 day old chicks on June 15. One started laying last week, one of my two barred Plymouth Rocks. However, the other seven are not acting like they are ready( Got a brown leghorn, Delaware, Buckeye, Buff Orphington, Cornish Hen, Buff Brahma,). I am in the Northeast, and it is getting dark and gloomy outside. So inside, my coop, I have a section with a shelf separated by screen door, where I place a battery lantern. I put it on from 4pm to 7pmsih. Since sunrise is now around 7 in the morning. It will give them plenty of sleep time. Hopefully a nice boost of light to get those layers happy.

Ya know, my brother has some hens too. One of his laid an egg every day for 3 days until her schedule ovulation sorted its self out. Every hen is different. He has six polish hens, and some others. The polish are suppose to lay maybe 2-3 eggs a week. He gets one every day, from each one.

I think spending a lot of time with them, and making sure there is always a supply of layer pellets, and water at all times. Making sure there is no stress in the flock will help too.

What breed of chickens do you have? The bigger hearty ones will lay through the winter. The smaller, lighter birds may hold off till the very early Spring.

Putting some extra light in the coop may help to get them started IF they are ready to lay. I had more eggs than we could eat last winter. My family members all enjoyed nice farm fresh eggs!

Back
Top Bottom