It's 5am. Rooster?

chode

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
Hello all,

first time poster. I got a few day old chicks about 3 months back and I'm now worried one's a boy. We got 1x Silkie, 1x Isa Brown and 1x RIR.

The RIR was actually a few weeks older than the other chicks when we got them and has always been bigger. Recently she started doing a mini crow at random times during the day. Just now she started crowing at about 0445am. I'm sure the Neighbours aren't impressed.

At first I thought she (he?) had taken on the role of a rooster like some hens do. Now I'm too sure though. I've added some pics in the hope of getting your expert opinions.

Any help appreciated

the males combs will turn red before a hens, hens combs won't turn bright red until they are close to laying age (5 months - 8 months of age depending on breed). males have narrow pointed hackle feathers (neck feathers) and saddle feathers (the feathers toward the back of the bird by his tail) and sickle tail feathers (the type that get big and curl. hens feathers are wide and rounded. some times you can tell by the legs if it's male or female, as the males legs are thicker than a hens but this only works if you have the same breed to compare it to.

edited to add that the picture you posted is a rooster

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. That's a bit sad to hear. Guess I'll have to take him back today.

Back
Top Bottom