hens stopped laying eggs

panda1

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 1, 2013
this is my situation;
7 hens, 4 are over a year old. They layed eggs before, consistently, until this summer.
3 are six months old. one of them lays an egg.
one roo, six months old
they hang out together, as a flock when outside of coop in backyard
I have placed two fake eggs inside coop
Besides lighting, now, all summer no eggs.
What should I do?
The breed is Orpingtons.

Most chickens stop laying at some point, like taking a break. Most chickens stop laying for a reason. like shorter hours in a day, stress, there age, chickens going broody, molting, overall flock health and poor nutrition . Do you give them calcium, and are you sure you just sent finding them?

I plan on getting some buff orpingtons next spring so I have been researching as much as I can about them. I have read that they are prone to take a couple of extended breaks from laying each year. Can't say for sure since I don't have any yet.
hu.gif

thank you, you will have no regrets with an Orpington. Love them. I did not know about them taking a break so that is helpful. As far as what I feed them, at least 18% protein, DE, OCV, Rooster Booster, oyster shells, plus they have an organic backyard they visit at least a couple times a week, some black sunflower seeds once in awhile for treats. I do have a vegetable garden and they sometimes get tomatoes, also once in awhile I give them some plain yogurt, and they love grapes when I treat them. The breeder was puzzled, he said he had loads of eggs this summer. He came by to see them, he loved them, and they were beautiful.Should I try giving them some catfood for the extra protein?

thank you, you will have no regrets with an Orpington. Love them. I did not know about them taking a break so that is helpful. As far as what I feed them, at least 18% protein, DE, OCV, Rooster Booster, oyster shells, plus they have an organic backyard they visit at least a couple times a week, some black sunflower seeds once in awhile for treats. I do have a vegetable garden and they sometimes get tomatoes, also once in awhile I give them some plain yogurt, and they love grapes when I treat them. The breeder was puzzled, he said he had loads of eggs this summer. He came by to see them, he loved them, and they were beautiful.Should I try giving them some catfood for the extra protein?
I give my girls 4Health catfood sometimes. It has 32% protein. Some people don't like giving their chickens catfood but my girls love it as an occasional treat. Pinto beans are another good source of protein for them. Cook them first though. They shouldn't eat dried beans.

Back
Top Bottom