6 month wait!

nayeli

Songster
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
Well its that time, that dreadful time when everything is sold out til next year. So getting desperate I went with a joe shmo backyard farmer to get some "silkies". They were crosses. She offered to exchange them but at this point knowing how she keeps her flock I'm thinking I might just sell them, cut my losses and wait to buy from a good breeder next year!

Who you buy from matters! Plus the other breeder has blue and splash <3

While i have my select breeds i love going to breeders and finding the barnyard mixes in the brooders mixed in that no one knows what they are. Gives an added bit of excitement as you watch them grow.

I love mixes you basically have your own breed. This is my frizzle mix, he is the prettiest rooster. I got him a a farm sale.

Do you have a farm sale where you live? Sometimes you can find good breeders that have chicks in these months. I get most of my animals at the farm sale close to me.

If you were (or are) close to me, I could shower you in Silkie chicks :D
I've hatched SO many this year I've lost count!

Where do you live? It helps to put your location in your profile so you can hunt down folks in your area or so people who have what you're looking for can respond to posts like these. You could also go to the Where Am I? Where Are you? section of the forum, find your states thread and ask if anyone has any Silkies :)

Good luck!

If you were (or are) close to me, I could shower you in Silkie chicks
big_smile.png

I've hatched SO many this year I've lost count!

Where do you live? It helps to put your location in your profile so you can hunt down folks in your area or so people who have what you're looking for can respond to posts like these. You could also go to the Where Am I? Where Are you? section of the forum, find your states thread and ask if anyone has any Silkies
smile.png

Good luck!
I should! I belong to my states forum though and everyone on it is hours away from me. Probably the same distance as you are actually (assuming your near the Arkansas border).

I love mixes you basically have your own breed. This is my frizzle mix, he is the prettiest rooster. I got him a a farm sale.

Do you have a farm sale where you live? Sometimes you can find good breeders that have chicks in these months. I get most of my animals at the farm sale close to me.
I'm fine with mixes if that is what someone wants but I like to know what my chicks are mixed with and have purebreds for that reason... not that I won't mix them, just that I'll know WHAT they are..

We have a local flea market that farmers go too, but I worry about diseases that way with so many animals close together.

Nope, I'm near the Kentucky border :/ And that seems to be the case with my state and pretty much all of the states that surround it as well, everyone is SO far apart! And, I've also noticed that there really aren't many quality Silkie breeders around here. Some, yes, but not like it was when I lived in Virginia. There, I could find quality Silkies in a rainbow of colors within a half an hour of my house (which made them much harder to sell, too).

Anyway, best of luck with your search. If you're ever travelling through Tn, stop in and get some chicks :D

All of my animals that I have gotten at a sale have always been healthy, the sale is only twice a month, and I make sure any animals I get is up to my standards. If I get chicks I make sure all of the chicks look good, just like any animal I get, I make sure the pairs and other adults have good feathering, no infected areas and are making all the right sounds. Any of my animals that died are from animals malling them.

Last edited:
All of my animals that I have gotten at a sale have always been healthy, the sale is only twice a month, and I make sure any animals I get is up to my standards. If I get chicks I make sure all of the chicks look good, just like any animal I get, I make sure the pairs and other adults have good feathering, no infected areas and are making all the right sounds. Any of my animals that died are from animals malling them.
The one here is one day a week.

Back
Top Bottom