12 Week Old Chick not walking properly

scoobyloula

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 7, 2013
Hi All

Hope someone can help.

Our chick was fine until a week ago then she started limping and standing on her other foot. Now sometimes when she walks this foot curls up and she will sometimes fall over.

She spends most of her time sitting down and we don't have a clue what to do to help her.

I have got a video which is below.

vimeo_logo.png

Any advice appreciated.

That is really strange...one minute she can walk fine, the next that foot curls under on her...I'm stumped. While it's a long shot have you checked the bottom of that foot really good to see if there are any signs of bumblefoot?

Last edited:
Hiya, yeah we had heard about bubblefoot and him/her a good check over but her feet and legs seems fine no breakages or anything.

So worried about the little thing. :(

yeah we gave her a really good look over. The rest of the flock are fine however we have quarantined her just in case.

Is she rolling up her toes? Or stepping on her feathers? Can you try: trimming the feathers, maybe splinting her foot with a small "snow shoe", try a multi B vitamin. I would watch the rest of your flock and see if another does the same thing. Did you check for a leg injury?

If all that doesn't help, I would think about Marek's Virus. Just ONE of many possibilities.
hugs.gif

Her toes curl up then walks on her knuckles then treads on each foot as she walks. We have trimmed the feathers they are on the outside of each leg, her feet seem to go in wards, so the (thumbs) tread on each other then she trips over. She is not steady standing she stands up on tip toe, so sits most of the time. She is eating and in good spirit.

Oh and yes we looked at her legs for injuries all looks ok. The quills are very thick but not that different from the other girls.

We took her to see a guy who knows his stuff about chickens.

He is convinced she has pulled a tendon as the foot she has issues with is hot at the leg joint compared to the other one. He assures us that nothing is broken.

As she is happy in herself and eating and drinking ok he has advised for us to keep her away from the others in a small cage to see if with rest she improves.

Any experienced a chicken with similar to the above?

We do know that one of flock picked on the little one if she got a chance but we never say anything really bad just the little one turning sharply to avoid her so maybe that is how it happened?

She is such a sweet and brave little girl and makes hardly any fuss so we want to do all we can to help her.

We took her to see a guy who knows his stuff about chickens.

He is convinced she has pulled a tendon as the foot she has issues with is hot at the leg joint compared to the other one. He assures us that nothing is broken.

As she is happy in herself and eating and drinking ok he has advised for us to keep her away from the others in a small cage to see if with rest she improves.

Any experienced a chicken with similar to the above?

We do know that one of flock picked on the little one if she got a chance but we never say anything really bad just the little one turning sharply to avoid her so maybe that is how it happened?

She is such a sweet and brave little girl and makes hardly any fuss so we want to do all we can to help her.

I have a silkie who got clumsier and clumsier until she couldn't stand upright, only lay on her side. After doing some research, I learned that she was suffering from lack of vitamins. I now have her inside my house, and after four days on vitamins B and E, she is stronger in her legs but still not able to stand. She seems to be getting slightly better. Does your chicken get clumsier every day? PS: your chicken looks so cute!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom