Please help me with my call duck eggs!

LittlePsycho

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
So, I bought some call duck eggs and had them shipped a couple weeks ago, and they're on day 18 of incubation. Everything has been going ok, but I looked at the eggs last night and one seems so much more developed than the other. (I only have two developing, so sad!) I can't see any free space in one egg and it looks like its ready for lockdown and hatching. This can't be possible though, they still have a week before hatching. The other one is still growing and moving around but there is still veins and emptiness in the egg, as I expect there should be this early in incubation. I can't tell if the larger one is moving or not because the only light that gets through is in the air cell. What should I do? Is this normal? I can post pictures if need be.

Pictures are always helpful. Are you sure that the more advanced looking one isn't in a "hot spot" in your 'bator - or that the slower one isn't in a "cold spot"? Sometimes eggs do develop at a somewhat different pace (due to vigor, age, health and age of parents, etc.), but it shouldn't be a really drastic difference.

I have no way of knowing if the eggs were in a cold or hot spot. Even if they were, would the difference be that drastic? Lockdown doesn't even start until Friday. I know the pictures are really fuzzy, but its the best I can do. If you look, you can still see some veins in the one egg but just darkness in the other.
----------- filled in

---------- veins in the bottom

Maybe one egg was accidentally a chicken egg... or was somehow incubated before you received it?? I guess you'll find out, but I know the waiting is hard enough without weird stuff like this.

My eyes aren't good, and I can't make anything out in those pics. But, depending on the temp variation, the differences could be fairly dramatic I think. Or is it possible that @darkbluespace could be right and it might be a chicken egg by accident? If it had been partially incubated and then shipped, I don't think it would have survived to continue developing. But weirder things have happened I suppose.

I highly doubt its a chicken egg. The woman I bought them from doesn't have chickens, as far as I know. I've been checking it every night for an internal pip, just in case, but there's nothing. Both eggs seem to be doing fine, though. Just different from each other. I'm hoping the darker one is just a big baby and that it wont hatch before the weekend its supposed to hatch.

It could just be that they are just growing that differently. I guess you'll find out for sure on hatch day. I hope they both come out happy and healthy.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom