Dumped dog hanging w chickens

Fly Right

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 26, 2014
About a month ago I found a dog hanging w my chickens in the coop. Oh and she didn't hurt the chickens in any way. I think she just wanted shelter, food and water. Anyway, she she ran off and I have been trying to tame/catch her so I could call animal control. She is so skittish and won't come near any humans. Now, she hangs with my chickens during the day while they free range but as soon as I go out to the flock she runs away. I'm wondering what you guys think about continually feeding her and let her live with my chickens and she will deter any or most ground predators from snatching up my chickens?????? She doesn't seem to bother the chickens and she follows them around and they don't seem to mind her hanging out with them either.

Well to be honest, i like the idea of having a dog there to take care of the chickens who wont actually hurt them. While at the same time you have to keep a eye on the dog make sure it doesn't get "Hungry" Lol. Im sure if she see's you walk out and set food down for her. After a while she will recognize that bowl as food. Then you can start sitting closer to it, that way she gets use to your presence. I wouldn't try touching her while she is eating. She might be food aggressive, before you touch her with the food. use a broom or something. Pet her with it, push the food away. But don't take it away. If she doesn't growl her ears don't go down. Then you should be safe. But continue to take things slow, if she's that skittish something has either happened to her in the past. Or she may have been a feral dog.

Once you can catch her, I would get her vaccinated, and Spayed or neutered.

Also depending on how big the dog is, you can get a humaine trap to put down with some wet dog food near the chicken coop. If you are worried about getting her looked at. You can get one from a Animal shelter cause they would have to use one too. There's small ones at stores like Tractor supply, farm stores..

Last edited:
If you want to let her stay around I guess all you can do is keep an eye on things and see if you can settle her down. She may or may not deter any predators. My concern with a dog like that is that you don't know what, if any, vaccinations she's had and whether she's spayed, probably very likely neither. If she's not you will eventually end up with a litter of pup's and a mom who is unapproachable and raising feral pups. Not to mention if/when she goes into heat she will attract all the male dogs in a wide radius, they will most likely not be as friendly to your free ranging chickens. All of this is, of course, assuming you are sure it's a female.

Some dogs are good with chickens. Our lab lets chickens eat her food, climb all over her etc. Just keep a close eye on a new dog to make sure she doesn't show any aggressiveness. If you want and can have a dog she sounds like she might be a good match for you. I agree about getting her vaccinations especially if she will be guarding the flock and dealing with predators.

I say put some food out and see if you can keep the dog around. It could be a good protector for them. My sister raises mallard ducks, and her ducks hang out with her black lab. Where ever the dog goes, the ducks follow. The ducks know when they are safe!

If you plan on keeping the dog, call county animal control and let them know it's there (but that you don't want them to come get it). Most states have some sort of law that requires you to report the dog found incase there's an owner that wants it back (99% of the time nothing happens and you keep the dog). In most states if you don't do that, and the owner walks by at some point 5 years down the road, you're going to lose the dog, and may be looking at theft charges.

If you trap her you are going to make her more traumatized that she is now. Does she appear to have a collar /tags? Can you get a picture of her (of course it will be from a distance) maybe we can identify the breed or cross? Maybe you can cobble together a makeshift shelter for her with a blanket or something in side. When you go to set down feed or water for her, hum or talk like you are speaking to her., so you don't seem threatening.

It may be ages before you can get near her and for her to trust you, so you could get her to the vet. If your weather is about to turn bad for approaching winter, that will make it much harder to befriend her.

Really don't think you will have much luck taming her and if you turned her over to animal control, they would just put her down.

Back
Top Bottom