Which breed?

rotornoob

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 25, 2014
We currently have 3 Cayunga's that we picked up after they had reached maturity. They're laying pretty good I think, we get 2 eggs a day like clockwork. We would like to get 3 more ducks and want to get ducklings for the kiddos to raise. We have a smaller coop (they never use it) and about a 10x15 fenced off area for them. The fence is 4-5 foot tall depending on the spot. Our soul purpose for the ducks is for their eggs. So which breed should I get? I would like a flightless breed as I don't want to spend more on the enclosure. Thanks for all your help!!
-Matt

Runner ducks are known for their laying abilities. They stand very erect and are really light ducks. There are probably other breeds you can find but the Runner duck is the most entertaining.

If you can find any crested breeds are always a joy and you can always find a breed you want :D

This is my baby girls some kind of mutt mix

If you can find any crested breeds are always a joy and you can always find a breed you want
big_smile.png

I disagree on getting crested...they don't have the back of their skulls. And if two of them breed, their babies are often vorn with painful and often fatal defects, much like Scottish Fold kittens. That lump on their heads is a fatty tumor that their bodies form out of desperation to protect the brain since they have no bone there. And if they get into a tiff with a flockmate, those crests make a handy target, and are easy to pry off.

I agree with the anconas and runners! Are anconas are amazing foragers.... Haven't gotten are first eggs yet, but should any time now. They also can't fly. I've watched one of are anconas catch a fly more then once and they are great layers.

I agree with the anconas and runners! Are anconas are amazing foragers.... Haven't gotten are first eggs yet, but should any time now. They also can't fly. I've watched one of are anconas catch a fly more then once and they are great layers.

Right, the only breed of the ducks mentioned that can fly are the Campbells, and they can't fly much. They're the most prolific layers if maintained correctly, which affects production of any duck, and they're also excellent foragers. I would personally go with the KHs, but they're also the least "interesting-looking" of the four mentioned, at least that's what most people would probably think. We love ours!

Last edited:
Thanks guys!! I'm really leaning towards Chocolate Runners. Has anyone hear ever purchased from Strombergs?

This foraging ability, their cold tolerance, and just how dang cute they are is why they were my top choice. And the prolific egg laying.

Back
Top Bottom