Where to buy a single duckling or hatching egg?

Amykins

Crowing
10 Years
May 11, 2013
I am having NO luck at all! The minimum is always 2, the lowest any breeder is willing to go, but we can only handle two house duckies. The main complaint is that it's wrong to raise just one duckling, but Wobbles managed it just fine since she was imprinted on us. Poor Wobbles needs a buddy. We could hatch, but we're both hoping to get a duckling since...well obviously it's a guaranteed thing, and we could find someone who could sex it (we want another girl).

Being a house duck we can't buy an adult either, since they're not imprinted on people and weren't raised indoors. These problems seem to be compounded for Call ducks, since they're relatively popular and don't lay a lot of egg per breeding season.

The last resort I can think of is to find someone in the Washington area that would be willing to take the extra 'lings I'd have to order. They'd be a gift from me, no charge, I'd drive them to your house or farm, but come next Spring we're determined to get another little fluffy baby!

I am having NO luck at all! The minimum is always 2, the lowest any breeder is willing to go, but we can only handle two house duckies. The main complaint is that it's wrong to raise just one duckling, but Wobbles managed it just fine since she was imprinted on us. Poor Wobbles needs a buddy. We could hatch, but we're both hoping to get a duckling since...well obviously it's a guaranteed thing, and we could find someone who could sex it (we want another girl).

Being a house duck we can't buy an adult either, since they're not imprinted on people and weren't raised indoors. These problems seem to be compounded for Call ducks, since they're relatively popular and don't lay a lot of egg per breeding season.

The last resort I can think of is to find someone in the Washington area that would be willing to take the extra 'lings I'd have to order. They'd be a gift from me, no charge, I'd drive them to your house or farm, but come next Spring we're determined to get another little fluffy baby!
I dont know what resources you have there, but you could find farm swaps, craig's list call all feed stores and find out when they order chicks. Online, I found found numerous Facebook pages for people selling their farm type animals in my area. You could also check ebay. I was just on the silkie thread last night and read a long thing about how people are successfully ordering eggs thorough ebay sellers that are certified. BYC also has a thread somewere on this site grouping people into a certain area...but i have never found it ...kind of like a "who's who and where"

I've looked around, but call ducks are quite harder to source than chickens, I've found! The only people locally who breed them are the guy who I got Wobbles from, and he only breeds whites. We're hoping to get a black or pied, or even a snowy. The only other breeder is in Oregon and they won't sell to us because they don't believe in keeping ducks as house pets. The closed-minded jerks.

2 or 3 it wont make big diference i believe not in expences not in space so go for 3 !!!

Washington dc or Washington as in the one next to Canada?

The state. Hehe. we may as well be in Canada. XD

2 or 3 it wont make big diference i believe not in expences not in space so go for 3 !!!

smack.gif

Back
Top Bottom