New From Indiana

Finnie

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 27, 2014
Just north of Indianapolis
Good Morning!

I decided to take the plunge and get some chickens. Your website has been invaluable to me as I researched what I would need to know and purchase before bringing any actual chickens into my life. So now that my little flock came home over the weekend, I thought it would be good to actually join the forum.

I'm not a complete stranger to your forum. I have been breeding budgies (parakeets) for over five years now, and you would be surprised at how many times I am doing a search for something egg or feeding related, and the answer turns up in a chicken thread. I've resisted the lure of chicken keeping for years and I really don't know why I am succumbing to it now. I do a lot of flower gardening on my four acres, and I think maybe it has something to do with liking to pretend I'm a farmer.

Except I don't have a barn, and I really wish I did. We do own a horse though, but we board it. It's really my daughter's horse, and it boards during the school year up near Purdue University, where she is a sophomore.

My username, Finnie, is named after my first ever hen. Budgie hen, of course! I use it on most every forum I join, and I think maybe that tells me I spend way too much time on the internet. But I hope to squeeze more out of my internet time and get to know you folks around here. I suppose that half the fun in doing something you are interested in is sharing it with other people who also like it.

Well, enough droning on. Here are my five chickens. I got them from three different places, and it was a glorious fall weekend for all those trips into the country!

You have to get a coop first, and mine came with three chickens in it:

Then I got Henny Jenny:

And lastly I got this little tiny baby rooster. I really hope I don't live to regret this! But he is way too cute to resist:

I intend to let them free range in my large yard during the day. Their coop is kind of like a chicken tractor and it's a little on the small side, but it's really only for sleeping at night. I'm already dreaming of designing and building my own version of the perfect coop. Of course, I'm going to make it extra roomy so they will be happy, and because I know that eventually I am going to find more chickens that I just have to have!

Thanks for looking. I can't wait to meet all of you. :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What a lovely flock you have!!! I used to keep all kinds of Lovebirds and Cockatiels. They have all since passed away, but they were so enjoyable to keep.

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What a lovely flock you have!!! I used to keep all kinds of Lovebirds and Cockatiels. They have all since passed away, but they were so enjoyable to keep.

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

Thank you very much!

I have four cockatiels. They can be earsplitting at times. I am quite sure that my neighbors will hear the tiels from inside the house before they hear any rooster crowing. ;) I have also heard that lovebirds are noisy. I don't know how you must have stood it all. But of course, they each have their endearing qualities, and those who love them, really love them.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Have fun with your new flock, your Sebright cockerel is adorable!

Quote: Oh most definitely Ear Splitting!! Ha! Thankfully we have no neighbors. However we took the birds on a cross country trip to the hubby's parents house many many years ago and stayed in the RV in the back yard. WOW the birds would all sing and scream and it would echo off all the houses in the suburbs.
lol.png
Lovebirds are loud but not as frequent as Tiels. Lovebirds are HORRIBLY messy! They scatter seeds, dunk everything in their water and are a lot of work! LOL BUT...they were so adorable and friendly. I had one that loved to snuggle under my shirt, she went everywhere in the house with me, would get on my wrist and scream at me to sweep the floor faster or push the vacuum faster. LOL I really loved that bird to pieces.

Welcome to your flock, really enjoyed your introduction. Your silver laced sebright roo is gorgeous. Chickens eat a lot of bugs, so that is good for your garden too.

You will need some permanent coop for them soon, I'm sure Indi. gets it's share of snow and cold weather. If birds are cramped up inside, they get very aggressive toward each other and can resort to feather plucking, bullying and even cannibalism. They need(min) 4 sq.feet per bird inside the coop and 10 sg/feet per bird in outside run.

You will also have predator problems you don't have with indoor caged birds. Please check out the coops and predator sections . The Learning Center is a great place to start, then mosey over to the "Raising Backyard chickens," forum.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Oh my goodness! What a gorgeous flock you have!!!! They look so happy and healthy!! Congrats on such good looking birds!

Back
Top Bottom