Just Candled first time and question

crp126

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 19, 2014
So I just candled my eggs the first time, day 9 of incubation. I have a mix of easter eggers and brown eggs, all hens are with my jersey giant rooster. We have 10 of 12 browns with embryos but the easter eggs I could only say for sure one out of 10. Are they harder to get fertilized eggs from or do they just take longer? I am leaving them all in until I candle again on Nov. 4.

welcome-byc.gif
Many EE hens can be somewhat on the smaller size. Perhaps your very large rooster is not making 'contact' when he mates them. Good idea on giving the eggs more time before you discard them.

I thought the same thing. Have you checked the fertility of your EE eggs? (not the ones in the incubator but previously before you put any in.) If you have and the eggs are fertile, I would give them a little more time.
Also possible in a flock, your rooster may be mating his favorite hens but not others.
Good luck. I love my EE's and also have EE/Jersey giant crosses, but in my case, the JG's were the mothers.
They're excellent layers of very large pinkish eggs.

That is a good question, I did not check them before this incubation. I guess I will know soon enough. Just seemed odd to me. The EE's were hard to candle too, I couldn't get good light penetration through a few of them. Time will tell....Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom