new to turkeysrais

patti17340

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Littlestown, Pa
Can someone recommend a good read on raising Turkeys. My husband wants to get 4 in the Spring to raise and slaughter for the Hoildays. Is there a Breed I should be on the look out for. and what kind of house are they going to need. We just re did the shed and gave it to my 15 chickens this summer. They are staying not becoming dinner. We know nothing about turkeys and I feel we need to read up on raising them before getting them. Thanks

Turkeys are lots of fun. There are basically 2 types. The standard type is the old fashioned kind of turkey and takes longer to reach maturity and the broad breasted type grows much quicker. There is a disease called blackhead that chickens carry that can be fatal to turkeys so a lot of people house them away from their chickens. I'm not sure about broad-breasted turkeys but my standards love to run and play so plenty of room to run is essential. Standards also fly really well so you can let them loose, cover their run or clip their flight feathers. If you aren't keeping breeding stock, a shelter from the weather that is predator proof is all you need. Hope this helps. We started with turkeys this year and I love them. I never realized how nice they are.

This is a pretty concise reference (all online - can be downloaded by chapter). Though focus is on heritage varieties - pretty much same drill for Commercial varieties (down to the size of grit). The commercial Broad Breasted grow rapidly. If you are fortunate enough to purchase from a `better' line, the propensity for bad legs & blown aortas will be minimized.

http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/resources/internal /turkey-manual

We raise bbwhites and bourbon reds. ,love them all very much ,Storeys guide to raising turkeys is a great book to start ,lots of easy to follow info and has been a great help to us,good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom