Lighting for quails to lay eggs????

jaybeeson18

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Worcestershire
ok so I have a coop with a run outside. They never go in ththe coop because it's got a ladder and quails don't like ladders. Apart fr that they mainly stay in the run with wood shavings and lots of hay. I've put them on a higher protein and gave them some grit. The only thing left now is lighting. If I buy some LED (battery powered Christmas lights) will that work? Even though there outside? I know most people do this but they never say if there coop is in a garage or outside, I'm talking about warmth. For quails to lay eggs do they need it to be warm and also lighting?

Warmth will play little role as long as the temperatures are above zero. Use plastic sheeting and a staple gun to block out drafts during the cold months. If the temperature is below zero then you will need a regular ceramic heating bulb like for lizards. Otherwise if you use a light you'll literally drive the quail insane in the name of keeping them warm. There is no animal that functions properly when placed under lighting for 24 hours. It can drive a human clinically insane and the same goes for animals.

This link explains lighting to death but basically the light that animals and people perceive triggers specific metabolic processes in our bodies. Quail need that 14-16 hours of full spectrum lighting to trigger their metabolism to lay.

So I have my quail in 2foot by 8 foot cage devided in half with 9 quail on each side ihave 5 solar driveway marker lights for each side is that enough light for them they stay on till midnight by the way I live in arizona if that makes a differnce gets dark around 6 pm and light around 630 am

The temperature gets around 5-17 degrees during day and night as its autumn in England. So will my coturnix quail lay eggs if I have led Xmas lights on 14 hours a day?

Twice now I have linked you to a thread that explains very clearly the entire science of lighting and even includes amazon link to proper lights.

Led lights don't usually produce the correct wavelengths of light, as it is, putting your birds (which are only 6 weeks old and nowhere near ready for forced production) under lighting will shorten their expected life span. Improper lighting will further degrade that lifespan.

THe system youre viewing them on doesnt work with the then, no one else has that problem when I drop links. You've found your way to the lighting thread anyway you posted over there.

Back
Top Bottom