Ads opening Google Play Store and hijacking browser

TheGeekySheep

Songster
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012
Browsing with Chrome on an Android 4.4 phone: The mobile website is almost unusable for me because of the frequent ads that open the Google Play Store to get me to buy apps.

I don't mind banner ads, or even pop-up ads that I can close, but opening up other apps on my phone or taking me to a different website without me clicking on anything is too invasive. It even happens while I'm writing a post, but luckily when I press the "back" button to get out of the Play app my text hasn't been lost.

Same here using an iPhone. It seems certain ads take over and make navigating to the next page impossible. If I hit back, I can try to navigate to the page again, but usually the ad blocks it again. It's been taking several tries the last few days, especially with the political ads.

Thanks for the info and the report! We've escalated this issue to our team and they are working on it. We think it's a rogue ad from one of the ad networks (like Google AdSense) and hopefully we can find it and get it destroyed from the face of the Earth... or at least from BYC!

This is getting ridiculous, lol.

Read one post.
d.mobpartner.mobi
Zynga Poker!
Back button, back button.
Read half of another post.
d.mobpartner.mobi
Farmville!
Back button, back button.
Repeat ad nauseum.

I haven't installed adblock on my phone yet, does anyone know of it stops these?

I have to say I'm seeing a notable improvement in the number of ads creating problems for me. I'm down to one or two that throw up the App Store and that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom