Is this a rooster???

SarahMulcahey

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 28, 2014
Horner Park

So, we got these two pullets at the same time and I was told by the farmer they were the same age. One has started laying about 4 days ago. This Black Ameracauna I believe, has not and im getting nervous she is actually a he. She lost her foot due to a weird injury she had when I got her. It just fell off!! But she gets on just fine really. No crowing yet.... Thoughts???

Sorry can't see the bird well enough, too dark, too small. How old ? Poor thing, to lose a foot, that's awful. The fact that they don't lay eggs at the same time is inmaterial.

Yeah that's the best pic I have at the moment. Guess I'll justbhave to wait. Yeah she's a fighter. Her foot was literally like broken and limp and bleeding and I just nursed it as best I could for a good week with all sorts of cleaning and disinfecting and I separated her to let her rest. I put her back with the others when I could see they weren't gonna pick on her and about 3 weeks later I was cleaning out the run and no foot! It was just gone. And her stump is just fine. And she's learned to get around fine. Eats, drinks. She will lay down more than the others and she sleeps inside the hen house rather than perched on top like the other two but she's good. Just hope she lays...

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Most Roosters will start to crow at 15 weeks to 25 weeks and I have had some start at 12 weeks so ya just never know but my best egg layer and incubator started producing egg's at 14 weeks and did her first hatch at 23 weeks but her sisters waited till week 20 to start producing thier egg's and do not even try to sit on the egg's but will add to her nest ......

I think I see pointed saddle and sickle feathers, so yes, that is a cockerel.

Agreed, blown up the photo seems to show some saddle feathering, but a clearer side photo with good lighting would help. Also, the bird is not an Ameraucana as there are wattles rather than beard/muffs and the comb appears to be incorrect as well.

Back
Top Bottom