Duck Farming Ontario Canada

AdamM1

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 29, 2014
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and I have a question. I tried browsing to see if my question was already answered but couldn't find anything. Do anyone know if one would require a permit to farm ducks in Ontario? I plan on selling them to restaurants or farmers market but I have no clue where to begin my search for info. My sister just bought a farm in Wiarton Ontario so it would be great if we can start small with some ducks. Thanks for all your help.

All i know is it's not governed like chickens you don't need a quota past certain numbers that said i don't know much about selling birds past live ones or eggs.

I'll tell you what, i will give the name of site i am on that is provincial, that may narrow the info down better...

poultry swap Ontario.. just google it. I again only sell live ducks and eggs on occasion.

welcome-byc.gif

We're in Ontario too and have 45-50 laying female ducks. Egg Farmers of Ontario will not be of any help as they do not touch ducks.

You don't need a license to raise ducks for consumption or egg production (99 or less). You will however, require them to be inspected at the butcher prior to selling to a restaurant.

I found this from the Egg Farmers of Ontario which does mention that quota is specific to pullets:

Quota belongs to the Board and is administered by the Board to provide for the control and
Regulation in any or all respects of the production and marketing within Ontario of pullets,
including the prohibition of such production or marketing, in whole or in part, as part of Canada’s
comprehensive supply management system.

and... we all know this:

Laws and regulations that apply

The Livestock and Livestock Products Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. L. 20, Eggs Regulation, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 724, s. 5 (1) prohibits the sale within Ontario of eggs for human consumption except eggs graded, packed and marked in accordance with this Regulation. However, s. 5 (2) allows a producer to sell eggs that are not graded, packed and marked as required if the eggs are produced on the producer's own farm, are clean and not leaking and are sold or offered for sale to consumers for their own consumption only on the farm premises. S. 7 provides that eggs that do not comply with the standards set out in this Regulation shall be rejected and known as "rejects." S. 8 states that no person shall purchase or sell, or offer for sale, or ship or transport rejects for use as food, or in the preparation of food, for human consumption."

From TheStar:
Quota is a legal requirement for marketing chickens, turkey, eggs or cow milk in Canada. Without it, the simple bucolic act of selling a block of farmstead cheese or several dozen eggs at a farmers’ market is against the law. It’s been this way for almost half a century. If you want access to the market, you have to pay for it. And access isn’t cheap.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help everyone. I was aware of the ungraded egg sale ban, but wasn't sure if there was any other regulation regarding the actual sale of slaughtered ducks. I'll check out the OMAFRA website but I'm probably going to have to call someone from there and get more info.

@GoingQuackers - Thanks for your input, I'll check out that site as well and see if I can find any more info.

@apricotvalleywf - Thanks for all the info, the inspection at the butcher tidbit, led me to the OMAFRA site so I'll give them a call to see if they have all the required info in one spot. I was reading that Star article and it really upset me, it's really unsettling knowing that we allow such cartels to be legal and that people can just walk into your farm and destroy your hard work.

It would be nice to stay in contact, we are increasing our flock size to roughly 90 to 100 by the spring (indian runner ducks). Always nice to have other Ontario contacts.
I liked you on facebook :D. I'm Andy. I'm not planning on farming just yet since I'm currently running a software company and I'm 3 hours away from the farm (I'm in Toronto), but I do plan on going back to school in January for culinary so if you're willing to sell me eggs and so I can have the yummiest pastries in class that would be awesome. :). Do you guys ever come to Toronto for Farmers Market?

Edited for typo

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow! We head to Toronto once a week, not for duck egg sales but I am sure we could figure something out.

We have very similar careers believe it or not.. i used to run my own catering business and now I work full time in healthcare IT in the GTA.

We will have 12 birds at The Royal, if you are there stop on by!

Thanks for the follow! We head to Toronto once a week, not for duck egg sales but I am sure we could figure something out.

We have very similar careers believe it or not.. i used to run my own catering business and now I work full time in healthcare IT in the GTA.

We will have 12 birds at The Royal, if you are there stop on by!
Wow. Small world haha.

Back
Top Bottom