Waiting for these eggs to hatch

Lalegid

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 26, 2014
Day 20 here for my barred rock babies, I feel like I'm waiting to go into labour! I haven't seen any sign of life from the eggs yet (no rocking, no noise), they were looking good (as far as I could tel) a few days ago when I candled them before lockdown. One egg has a tiny chip in it (where the air sack is), but I don't know if it's a pip... maybe it's been there all along? Lol.

These were some of the eggs that were involved in my incubator disaster (it went cold, for up to 9 hours), so I'm just hoping they are ok, and expecting a later hatch...may be a couple more days I guess!
It's my first time hatching so I do hope I get some live chicks... will be a little sad if none make it.

Try not to worry :hugs
21 days is just a guide line, nothing is set in stone with incubating. As you said you had a cool down in your bator this could cause a little later hatch. The tiny chip could be the start of a pip. They don't always just make a hole in the shell. Quite often it is as you say just a chip or crack in the shell. As long as they have made enough to let more oxygen in the egg they are quite happy. After this initial pip they will rest and continue absorbing the yolk before commencing work again.
I know it's hard but you really need to sit on your hands and be patient. (Easier said than done) Hatching can't and shouldn't be rushed. Wishing you the very best with your eggs :fl:fl

It sure is a waiting game :)

I think an egg gave a little wiggle before, I have plans to keep myself busy for the next few days.

Day 22, it's expected hatch day, I hope to see some action soon, I can't help but worry that there has been no sign of life yet.

We have 1 chick! She/he hatched at 6.05 this morning. Still in the incubator, climbing all over the other eggs and making a right racket - noisy wee thing! Lol.
She's called Tahi (Maori for 1)

The 2nd egg has pipped, hopefully another chick in the morning! (Or tonight - any time would be good!). Don't know what's taking the other 4 so long... Tahi needs a friend, she's so noisy, constant chirping unless I sit with my hand in the brooder, and then she snuggles into my hand and goes to sleep. I've given her a mirror, thinking that might keep her company, lol.

Congratulations :celebrate
She would have been fine left in the incubator till hatch was over. They can survive upto three days after hatching without food and water. She will encourage other eggs. I bet she has imprinted her self on you and that's why she is only quiet when you are there. You are going to have one very friendly chick there. I personally don't open the incubator untill hatch is complete I don't like to mess with the humidity. Hope for the sake of your ears that you have another hatch soon :frow

Back
Top Bottom