I need some help from somebody about my chicken

annegenevieve

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 30, 2014
I read the story about how to treat gape worm. I gave her six drops of ivermectin on her skin under her wing. I can't believe she lasted through the night. She was gasping for air so bad.to my surprise she came out of her coop with her sister but she was still gasping. Do I give her 6 more drops every day or is it a one time deal?I also gently put a q-tip down her throat and no worms came out on it. Could she have a respiratory infection instead? And will that medicine I gave her kill any worms that she has other than gape worm? Should I take her to the vet? This is very time sensitive could somebody please help me

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about your bird. Ivermectin is not all that effective for treating birds with INTERNAL worms. However many birds that are gasping for air are dealing with a respiratory ailment rather than gape worms.

Does the bird have any respiratory ailments like a runny nose, rattles in the lungs, (put your ear up to the back of the bird right behind the neck) swollen face or watery eyes? How long has the bird been gasping for air?

If you feel she has gape worms, use some Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer in her. 1/2 cc for standard breeds, 1/4 cc for bantam types. Once a day for 3 days. You can put this in 1 cc of Gerber Baby food and with a syringe shoot it onto the middle of the tongue.

If you think she has a respiratory ailment, you might get some Sulfadimethoxine or Duramycin into her water.

You might also post this in our emergency section for more help...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck. Don't wait too long to treat her. Gasping for air can kill them quick.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you some good suggestions. If you are able to take her to the vet, that would probably be the fasted way to figure out what is going on since there are a number of things that could be causing it.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your sick bird.
hugs.gif
Two Crows gave you some good advice. Gapeworms may be the cause, but I think that it is more likely that your chicken has a respiratory disease.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your bird! TwoCrows has given you some good advice. Another dewormer that treats gapeworm is Valbazen.

It's very hard for even an expert to diagnose your chicken without personally seeing her and examining her. It would be for the best if you could take her to a vet. If she doesn't have worms, the medicine may have caused reactions in her, or maybe the dosage was too high. If she has another illness instead, this is delaying her real need of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom