where's the eggs

mommarx

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
ocean city, nj
last april i purchased 6 chicks, turned out 4 of them were roosters and i only wanted eggs. so about a month ago i gave the boys to a friend who wanted them. i'm thinkin my two girls should be layin by now but no eggs. i feed them meeley worms, cracked corn, black oil seeds along with their layena. they also free range during the day. am i doing something wrong, am i too anxious? any feedback would be greatlyappreciated
big_smile.png

The wait is hard, for sure
big_smile.png

If we proceed under the assumption that your girls are indeed girls (and I hope they are!), are they exhibiting any of the signs that they are getting close to laying?

Big, red, plump combs and wattles?

Squatting when you reach to pat them?

Bright red faces?

Showing interest in the nesting boxes, visiting them regularly to check them out?

If so, I'm sure your eggs won't be far away.

If not, would you like to post pictures so the folks here can verify that they are indeed girls, and you are not on the Endless Wait I have seen some poor souls on. There is nothing more disappointing than waiting for eggs from a rooster. Nothing more tiring, either, lol
wink.png

- Krista

Last edited:
I will take pictures tomorrow and post. Mine babies are Black Sex Links so I know 7 are hens and 1 is a Roo. But no the hens combs in the hens are pinkish, not bright red. They have been getting in their laying boxes for at least a month but no eggs yet. Now it's starting to get cold and I fear I won't get any eggs till next spring.

last april i purchased 6 chicks, turned out 4 of them were roosters and i only wanted eggs. so about a month ago i gave the boys to a friend who wanted them. i'm thinkin my two girls should be layin by now but no eggs. i feed them meeley worms, cracked corn, black oil seeds along with their layena. they also free range during the day. am i doing something wrong, am i too anxious? any feedback would be greatlyappreciated
big_smile.png
They may be laying out in their range area.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

What Aart said!

I have over 30 hens all are spring hatches. I am getting 2-4 eggs a day. I was free ranging and thought they were just laying eggs in the woods. Now I think because of the shortening of the days the majority are simply not laying.

None of my black sex link are laying. I have a couple red sex link that are, one black Australorp and a little white EE that lays an egg once a week. The rest are just eating free food and not contributing to the cause.

Back
Top Bottom