Need Help Fast...Polish Rooster with eye problems...What do I do?

isuperman35

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
Woke up to Polish rooster with his head down and not moving around. Realized he has yellow pus coming from eyes and both eyes are all scabbed over. He was fine just a couple days ago and it dont see any signs of injury. He is quarantined but I need help!! Here are some pics.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh, I am so sorry about your baby! Looks like it could be Avian Pox. Take a look at this article...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

But you should still post this in our emergency section for more input...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you can get him healed up soon!
hugs.gif

He needs to be kept in a very clean environment. I would also hand feed and water him. Because he can't see he will become dehydrated very fast. Polish need to be checked daily for crest and eye problems as things can soon become a major problem for them. Hope you get this under control soon

Last edited:
we ve cleaned the eyes , isolated him in bathtub, and started antibiotics...he started eating and drinking once inside....should i worry about spreading to rest of flock?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your rooster.
hugs.gif
It looks to me like he has Fowl Pox, which is a viral disease of chickens usually spread by biting insects or contact with infected birds. Fortunately, Fowl Pox isn't usually fatal, particularly in just its dry (external) form. One thing you can do to help your rooster is give him antibiotics to prevent secondary infections. Other than that, the Fowl Pox should run its course in 4-6 weeks.

Fowl Pox is somewhat contagious, and it is likely that the rest of your flock has been exposed.

Good luck with your rooster!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Your rooster does seem to have Fowl Pox. Fortunately, Fowl Pox is rarely deadly, unless it progresses to the "wet" form (which creates lesions inside the throat/windpipe).

Fowl Pox is spread by mosquitoes and other flying insects. Once birds have it once, they are resistant to at least that strain. The scabs should go away in 3-5 weeks.

You can't really treat Fowl Pox, since it is caused by a virus. But, dabbing iodine on the scabs can help them dry up and go away. Antibiotics are sometimes a good idea, as a secondary bacterial respiratory infection can accompany it.

Good luck with you rooster!

Back
Top Bottom