Chickens from Croatia

Phill98

Songster
9 Years
Oct 30, 2014
Zagreb, Croatia
Hello everybody!
As you can see from the title, I live in Croatia, so, if you see any mistake, I hope you will forgive me.
I decided to join BackYardChicken because I want to know what kind of chickens do you raise, how your coops look, what do you do in summer to cool your chickens, what do you do in winter to warm up them, get some good advice from you and maybe give some to you.

So far, I have seen a lot of things that you have and I want them in Croatia. In here, we don't keep chicken breeds unless you want some show-quality birds that are so expensive. Only breeds that you can find in our hatcheries are production reds, barred rocks and meat chickens. Instead of having breeds we are keeping crossed chickens that are so crossed and colourful that you can't know which breed they are made from. Colours can be all sort of black, white, brown, golden, blue, red, but most of them are colourful like your EE.
I don't have chickens yet, but we're getting them on spring (can't wait).
We already have our coop done, because we were keeping chickens before.
If you want, I will take some photos of my grandma's hens, but they are molting now so i will show them after molting.

It's a long text, but I think that this could be fun for you as much as it is for me.
If you have any questions about chickens, coops or anything else in here, feel free to ask.

Welcome to BYC! I'm sure you will enjoy reading through all the forums, there is a lot of great info and helpful people here.

At our place we currently have a small mixed flock of several different breeds, Columbian Wyandottes, EE's, bantam Welsummer's, and Sebrights. Our coops are nothing pretty to look at lol! Just utilitarian coops built into the back of my goat barn. We don't heat our coops in winter since we are in central California we don't get extreme cold. We do have very hot summers so I do have fans in both coops as well as floor fans in the main barn area.

We always love to see pic's of coops and birds so post some when you can.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Thank you everyone!
I read all the articles here on BackYardChickens before I joined.
Well, I see that we have something in common and that's watching pictures of chickens of other people, so I will post some pictures as soon as I can.

I want to tell you one more thing.
While I was reading your texts, I saw that you have troubles with all kind of predators.
Here we don't have anything that could kill our chickens except rats and foxes, but they rarely attack, so i feel so happy right now that I don't have that problem.

Back
Top Bottom