Chick pipped and then died. Weird feathers.

inquisitivebird

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2014
Hi Everyone,

Just want to say thanks again for all the help you're given in the past. This is such a great site. Anyway, I had some eggs that were ready to hatch. 2 of the three hatching normally, the last one pipped a little later and I thought it might hatch over night or in the morning so I went to bed. In the morning it was dead. I took it out of the shell and I noticed that it's yoke wasn't yet absorbed so even if I had been there to help it it probably wouldn't have made it. Then I looked a little closer and noticed that it's feathers looked strange. Near the follicle of each feather was a little 'knot' in the feather. I can't figure out what this could be. I don't think it's normal. What do you think? I've included some photos and a picture of one of the healthy ones:

That does look very strange. I have no idea what might be the cause. I have never seen anything like it before. Hopefully someone will come along soon who can give you some idea what might have caused it.

This batch of chicks were from a brother and sister mating but they were probably half siblings. I thought, well maybe a mutation from inbreeding? But, I know chicken breeders do this all the time. hmm.. Also, the cloaca of the chick hadn't formed. It's body just continuously merged right into the yolk. didn't get a good picture of that. I wonder if it tried absorbing the yolk and had trouble since i didn't have a cloaca, at least that's what it looked like.

I noticed your post back when you first put it up, but didn't have an answer.

Then my own eggs started hatching.
The second one needed to be helped out of the egg a little bit and she also had these weird knots in her feathers, although slightly smaller than yours. She fluffed up just like all the others, however, and now I can't even tell her and her sister apart.

So, I've still no idea what that is, but I can tell you it wasn't something related to her death. Apparently some chickens just have knotted looking feathers even when their siblings from the same parents do not. :)

Oh, that's great to hear! I'm glad the knots weren't the problem. Although sad to have a chick die, it does make it a little less weird.

Back
Top Bottom