Chickens suddenly eating more... like A LOT more.

tiffrosef

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
I have been feeding my chickens fermented feed for a few months now, and they were all eating very little of it per day (about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup each) now they are all eating nearly tripple that! I haven't changed anything drastic or anything like that. Just what used to last them all day is now gone in an hour, so I feed more, then that's gone too. I keep feeding them because they act like they're starving to death. They are all roughly 23 weeks right now, some are a few weeks younger than that.

Am I being suckered by my chickens? Will they just keep eating if I keep feeding? Cause I have only noticed it happening the last three weeks or so, we have been blowing through their feed really quickly.

We also switched to layer feed from grower feed... so I am just not thinking straight right now. That probably plays a part too.

It is fall and if they are out free ranging then it could be that they have started to clean out their range of easy food.

My neighbors dogs prevent me from free ranging them :( they already tried to eat one of my birds while I was out there with them.

Mine are eating more too. I was wondering if it was the change of seasons. Can you do something maybe to add a little more protein so they do not eat as much?

I actually added more calcium and protein. I gave them a few cans of beans and some oyster shell and that seemed to do the trick!

New to this group. Just wondering; I thought I read beans weren't good to give chickens?
I think you aren't supposed to give dried beans, cooked ones are ok. Here is a great --- list https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom