Going on 4 months with our birds and one is NOT laying...do I cull?

quip17

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Woodstock, On
We bought 3 " 1 year old" chickens in July - two Heritage RIR and one utility RIR/LH. Both of our HRIR have been laying very well over the summer and fall.
However, our RIR/LH has given us maybe 3 low quality eggs (thin shells) and numerous shell-less eggs - or no eggs at all. She had a sinus infection/crop rot over the summer and was treated with great results - then she molted. But for the past month and a half she has been in perfect health, eating (little pig!) and drinking along with her sisters. Sometimes broken, soft eggs will be in the box, or in the run.

I'm just at a loss of what I should do. Her vent is healthy looking, no concerns there, her comb is healthy and bright red, no crop issues and she has grown all her feathers back. She's the picture of health.

But no eggs.

I only have 3 birds and we have them for eggs - we are getting into the winter months and we might have a slow down in production, but I have a light for early morning hours and it seems to be helping. I don't want to spend any more money on treatments for her, if that was necessary.
How long after a molt does it take to get laying again? Considering her egg issues, is it safe to say she won't give us anything? I don't know exactly how old she is, but I don't think she is any older than other two - they all seemed to be raised together and they are all very attached to each other.

Ideas?

~Quip17~

it's getting colder they usually won't lay. And if you do decided to cull, do it in the summer at least give her a chance. If the other hen are attached to her they might get depressed and stressed and stop laying.

How much light are they getting and when did you start adding it?
It can take weeks for the 14-16 hours of light to have an effect.

I would say about 3 weeks ago.

Her laying isn't a lighting issue, I don't believe. The other two are laying just fine and have been for 4 months.

They are all eating the same thing - laying mash, some BOSS, free ranging in the yard during the day, oyster shell offered as they want it, as well as crushed egg shell, which they prefer. They have fresh water with a nipple waterer system.

They get minimal kitchen scraps, puppy kibble treats a couple times a week, just fed out of my hand.

~Quip

Back
Top Bottom