Candle the eggs - incubator temp drop?

Sabz

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Quebec, Canada
I have tried to research how to candle eggs.. I found the technique, but no words on the incubator.

Do we just open the incubator, pick one egg, close the incubator.. Candle the egg, put it back and do the same with the second egg?

I was afraid that the multiple open-close of the incubator create temperature or humidity drops and affect the chicks. Maybe better to do a few eggs, wait a few hours, do some others? This way it maybe the temperature doesn't drop as much as candling 24 eggs one after the other?

Your eggs will be fine to do them all at once. The trick is to work methodically and be prepared. I remove my lid for the whole time of candling. Check an egg put it back do the next one and so on. I have a towel on the work surface just incase of dropping an egg its a bit softer landing if that does happen.
Taking the lid of won't harm the eggs, mother hen gets off the nest everyday to eat, drink and poop so taking the lid off will be fine. My incubator has a cool down system which turns the heat off for whatever Time I set, this is to mimic the hen leaving the nest. Just make sure after candling you leave the incubator to stabilise back to the correct temp. Adjusting too soon can cause temp problems.
Good luck with your candling :frow

Last edited:
Oh. Again I didn't think about the real life of the egg. Yes, the mother must go drink sometimes, this makes a lot of sense!

Did you have an incubator without the cool down system before? Do you have more success with this option?
Mine doesn't have that option, but candling will probably do the trick hehe

Thanks.

My original incubator didn't have the option of cool down it was a cheap Chinese one that was very erratic so I had various results with it. I upgraded to a Brinsea with humidity pump and cool down option and havnt looked back with it great results every time.
For chicken eggs I use the cool down for 1 hour per day. The heat goes off but the fan stays on in the incubator. After the hour the heat comes back on to bring it back up to the set temperature.

Back
Top Bottom