Compost questions

leanna1120

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
Wisconsin
Hi All,

I have read multiple posts regarding composting but still have a few questions. If I have one compost pile, can I continuously add to the same pile or do you build up one batch let it compost and start new batches keeping them separately? I have visions of 10 piles of compost all over my yard...which is obviously not what I want. If I can only have 1 batch at a time..I'll have tons of "leftover" chicken poop and I don't want to waste it.

Also, as I'm closing my garden for the winter (Wisconsin), can I rota-till in plain fresh chicken poop assuming it will break down throughout the winter and be ready for spring?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!!

2 piles or bins is best. One to cook and one to throw the fresh stuff in. If you only have room for one, than one is better than none. When you go to use it, you just have to dig down to the good stuff. I would strip your coop and just lightly spread it over your garden. Add your leaves too. That's what I just did yesterday. Just let it break down over the winter. I also throw selective kitchen scraps, mostly coffee grinds, right on the garden in the non growing season as well.

If your chickens can get in and work the compost pile, it will break down in about 1/3 the time.

I'm originally from Wisconsin. I moved to NC to escape the winter. :)

I agree, throw your chicken "goodies", leaves, coffee grounds, etc... right onto the garden and leave it be all winter. You may want to throw a light layer of dirt on top to prevent it from blowing around your yard. In the spring just plow it in and you are good to go. :)

I've been in NC almost three years now. Nope, don't miss Wisconsin at all. I love Wisconsin and all it's beauty, but here I am 3 hours from the mountains, 3 hours from the ocean. 6 hours from Daytona Beach and 7 from Orlando, It is only 6.5 to Washington DC and 3 to Atlanta.

I hated the snow and cold, I'm much better in the heat. The summers here (Charlotte area) are the same humidity and temps as Waukesha, WI are but they last much longer. The winters are 30's - 40's on average. Gardening season is much longer which I love. Although it has been interesting learning to garden here in the clay soil with longer bug seasons. :)

What area are you in?

I only have one compost pile. I do my best to flip it, but it's so heavy as it gets wet and breaks down I have a tough time doing so. The amount of bedding waste that gets created by my ducks is making me think I either need a second pile or a much bigger one. I'm going to have the best soil EVER! LOL!

That weather sounds great...especially heading into what is supposed to be a heck of a winter here in Wisconsin!! I'm in the Sheboygan area...Sheboygan Falls to be exact. This will be my first winter with chickens and I'm pretty nervous about it. Last winter we had wind chills down into the -40's range. Yuck. I envy a longer growing season but think I might miss the snow...but certainly not the bone chilling wind chill factor. I have visions of perfectly preserved frozen chicken poop all over my garden come spring
sickbyc.gif

Compost: 1 pile, 2 piles or more. Bin, rotating barrel, or other fancy contraption. Sheet compost, trench compost... It really doesn't matter how you do it. BUT, just go ahead and do it! You can leave it to rot on it's own, or tend it with the right mix of water, carbon and nitrogen, and turn it weekly. Either way, you'll save a lot of yard and kitchen debris from going to the land fills, and you'll end up with healthy soil and gardens.

Back
Top Bottom