Square footage for chickens?

Not really. They will all usually roost at the same level. If you have too many birds in a coop they will start to pick on each other.

Mrchicks is right but he forgot one thing, in addition to the 4 sq ft a bird you need one foot of roost space per bird.

If you have a large coop you can fudge these numbers some, yours isn't large, or if you free range and the birds are only ever confined at night you can increase your population and be alright.

However if you are doing a typical small to medium coop and run you need to give the birds enough space.

Last edited:
The run is probably 30 by 30 by 6 so they only go in at night but they like to get close together to sleep anyways. Most of their time is spent in the run. I keep the food in the coop too (hanging feeder) so they go in to eat also. They aren't cramped really at all.

Sounds like you have plenty of room for 15 to 18 birds assuming you have the roost space for them

Thanks. I'll probably do a removable roost for them. I saw a guy on YouTube who had 40 chickens and had the same coop and run dimensions I had and he build a big roost in the coop along with two dozen nesting boxes and they had plenty of space. Would you consider doing something like that?

Back
Top Bottom