feather plucker attached to drill

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
I only occasionally process a bird, so cannot justify a big feather plucker, however, while ordering some horizontal nipples, they suggested a 15 finger feather plucker that attaches to a drill.

Has anyone tried this product? Does it work?

Mrs K

You could buy the already made product, or make one yourself. We made one by squeezing some cut up rubber bungie cords into a PVC end cap. We had the stuff just laying around, so figured it would be better to use what we already had rather than buying one.
I have to say though, if you give them a good scalding before you pluck, the feathers come out very easily :)

Yes, they do work. You have to practice a little on getting the scald just right. But when you get your scald just right you can actually just wipe most of the feathers off by hand.

I've seen videos of those on youtube, and frankly I think it takes more time to use one than it does to pluck a properly scalded bird. Tub pluckers are a completely different thing altogether.

I agree, if you only have a few birds to do, scald and hand pluck. However, if you ever have a bunch to do - go with the tub. I finally broke down and bought a tub picker and what a dream. Last Monday my wife and I cleaned 22 birds in just under two hours. The birds spend about 15 seconds in the plucker and come's out clean as a baby's bottom.

Back
Top Bottom