What is the size of a 1 day old chick?

Sabz

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Quebec, Canada
If you have babies at home right now, could you measure the length of the chicks' back? For a medium size chicken, like a leghorn or something similar.
From the neck to the tail and also sideways, wing to wing.

I think I remember them larger than they actually are.

Someone shared this picture with me (from Green Renaissance I think), so I thought I'd reply back with a little joke and knit a shirt for my chick hahah.

http://knitonecooktwo.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/chicken_sweaters1.jpg

I probably won't put it on until day 2-3, but still, I'd like to know the size of the chicks when they are fresh out of the egg ;) I will not leave the shirt on the chicken, I doubt it would be good for it, but just the time of a cute picture.

If you have babies at home right now, could you measure the length of the chicks' back? For a medium size chicken, like a leghorn or something similar.
Still, if you make anything too tight, you may well damage the chick getting it into and out of the shirt, which would be terrible.
It's roughly 4cm give or take, long, and 3cm wide to allow for normal wing position.
For the sake of not damaging the chick I would not put it on until it's a week old, personally, it's fairly likely that even being as careful as you can be, you may tear or break something. They are physically not up to being manipulated into constrictive contraptions at that age.
Well, to be honest, I'd use photoshop instead.
Anyway, best wishes.

LOL! Abuse claims???

Google "chicken coat knit". I doubt they had animal cruelty claims.

Anyhow.. thanks. Or course the shirt won't have sleeves.... As I showed in the picture above, it is just like a square of wool on the chicken. I HIGHLY doubt it will be under any sort of constriction. Probably less than all the baby chicks handled by kids in the malls when they have the Easter farms.

You might want to call 911 for this:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAHw/_XI1nd9RMms/s1600/chicken-shawl.jpg

Beware, very graphic pic.

Case closed. Thank you.

Last edited:
LOL! Abuse claims???

Google "chicken coat knit". I doubt they had animal cruelty claims.

Chicken coats are commonly sold for hard-moulting hens. They don't generally feature strings around the neck because of obvious safety reasons, lol. I'm aware they exist, there's nothing wrong with them.

Anyhow.. thanks. Or course the shirt won't have sleeves.... As I showed in the picture above, it is just like a square of wool on the chicken. I HIGHLY doubt it will be under any sort of constriction. Probably less than all the baby chicks handled by kids in the malls when they have the Easter farms.

lol, ok. 'Shirt' is a very strange thing to call it, hence the confusion.

You might want to call 911 for this:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAHw/_XI1nd9RMms/s1600/chicken-shawl.jpg

Beware, very graphic pic.

Look, I never accused you of animal cruelty, just gave you a heads-up on the common reaction I see whenever someone does almost anything to a baby animal. You appear to have taken offense, which is unfortunate but not intended. In future I will refrain from responding to any of your threads, if this overreaction is the result.

Case closed. Thank you.

...There was no 'case', lol...

Best wishes.

Whether we see it as cute or not, the point chooks was trying to make is SOMEONE out there will see it as abuse. "Chickens aren't meant to wear clothes, dogs aren't, cats aren't, blah, blah, blah".
The suggestion of measuring an egg is a good one.

"Chickens aren't meant to wear clothes, dogs aren't, cats aren't, blah, blah, blah"

The same 'aren't meant to wear' argument be used in regards to humans and clothing, remember as much as we forget we are just one of about 192 living native earth primates, and are 'animals' ourselves...

The fact that we have found clothing convenient and it's allowed us to expand beyond our natural habitat and climate doesn't really equate to humans being 'meant' to wear clothing, wearing clothing and living outside our natural habitat and climate was a choice our ancestors made...

Last edited:
Whether we see it as cute or not, the point chooks was trying to make is SOMEONE out there will see it as abuse. "Chickens aren't meant to wear clothes, dogs aren't, cats aren't, blah, blah, blah".
The suggestion of measuring an egg is a good one.

Good to see someone understood what I'd thought was plain and simple english! Thanks.

The same 'aren't meant to wear' argument be used in regards to humans and clothing, remember as much as we forget we are just one of about 192 living native earth primates, and are 'animals' ourselves...

The fact that we have found clothing convenient and it's allowed us to expand beyond our natural habitat and climate doesn't really equate to humans being 'meant' to wear clothing, wearing clothing and living outside our natural habitat and climate was a choice our ancestors made...

All 'howfunkyisyourchicken' did there was quote a potential response, doesn't necessarily mean they endorse it... They were clearly trying to help the OP understand what I meant.

The quote they provided is a very common reaction to someone dressing up baby animals then posting pics of it. Whether it's 'right' or 'wrong' to give animals coats, was never actually specified.

I must admit I find some of the responses on this thread outright baffling in the degree of apparent annoyance shown.

The whole issue here was the person describing a coat/cape as a 'shirt', then taking extreme offense at a well intentioned warning.

Really, I should have known better to respond, if they couldn't figure out what size a square of fabric needs to be to sit on the back of a chicken under a week old, it should have indicated to me that there's likely to be other things they also could not figure out, which would potentially lead to the exact scenario above. My mistake was actually believing they meant 'shirt' when they said it, lol.

A lambasting at the hands of the sort of commenters that usually respond to pics of dressed baby animals would have taught them better than my heads-up, lol, and good luck trying to 'close' that 'case'!

Best wishes to all.

Back
Top Bottom